The Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board (MSNCB™) is a professional organization whose mission is to validate excellence in medical-surgical nursing and care coordination and transition management.
We administer the Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (CMSRN®) and Certified in Care Coordination and Transition Management (CCCTM®) certification programs because certification is the recognized path for registered nurses to build and demonstrate commitment, confidence, and credibility.
Certification provides an added credential beyond licensure. It demonstrates, by examination, that the Registered Nurse adheres to specialized nursing standards and has acquired a core body of specialized knowledge in their practice or specialty.
- Medical-surgical nursing is a specialty with a distinct body of evidence-based knowledge.
- Care coordination and transition management is a practice, encompassing the continuum of care from acute care to ambulatory care, with a distinct body of evidence-based knowledge.
- Certified registered nurses positively impact patient outcomes.
- Certified registered nurses know and apply evidence-based practice and research.
- Obtaining certification empowers registered nurses to develop and use their leadership talents.
- As an organization, we should continually strive for relevance, accessibility, fairness, and innovation.
- Every applicant should have a positive experience with MSNCB, feeling understood, respected, supported, and encouraged.
Our vision is that MSNCB certifications are universally valued as essential to positive patient outcomes.
Board of Directors
The Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board (MSNCB) strategic plan provides direction to the organization. It declares the mission, vision, and core beliefs of MSNCB, and provides the initiatives to achieve them.
MSNCB developed its current strategic plan in March 2013 after surveying our certificants, non-certified members of the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses, and managers. The strategic plan is evaluated and updated annually.
Relationship with AMSN and AAACN
MSNCB and Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN) work closely together to provide professional development to all medical-surgical nurses.
MSNCB collaborates with the American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing to provide professional development for registered nurses in care coordination and transition management practice.
MSNCB is proud of its accomplishments since 2002. Learn about our major milestones.