To be eligible to take the CMSRN exam, you must meet all three eligibility criteria at the time of the application.
You are eligible if you:
Hold an unencumbered and current license as a registered nurse (RN) in the United States, its territories, or in Canada.
Have practiced 2 full years as an RN in a medical-surgical setting.
Have accrued a minimum of 2,000 hours of practice within the past three (3) years in a medical-surgical setting. Practice may include clinical, management, or education.
How do I determine if I am eligible to take the CMSRN exam?
If these activities describe your RN practice, then you are eligible to take the CMSRN exam, as long as you meet the practice hours and years of experience.
No person shall be excluded from the opportunity to participate in the MSNCB certification program on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, ethnicity, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Candidates of facilities who participate in the MSNCB FailSafe Certification Program™ will enter their unique facility code instead of credit card information on the payment page of the application. If you are having difficulty entering your FailSafe code, contact us for assistance.
Member Discounts for CMSRN Exam
Members of the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN; amsn.org) receive a discounted application fee. Consider joining before applying. (Membership must be current through the exam month to be eligible for application discount.)
- Met all the eligibility criteria (early applications not accepted)
- Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number (SSN)
- RN license number, original license issue date, and current license expiration date
- Supervisor's name and contact information (phone or e-mail)
- Credit card information or facility’s FailSafe code. Codes begin with "fs" and are case-sensitive.
- The CMSRN exam given at Prometric test sites in the US, US territories and Canada resumed at some locations on May 1st. Test sites are opening in accordance with all local, state and federal regulations. Be sure to check for site openings before scheduling your in-person test. Remote proctored exams are a testing option for the next few months.
You may receive your ATT same day and up to 3 days after submitting your application. It will be sent by email or MSNCB will contact you if more information regarding your application is needed. If you do not receive your ATT within 1 week, contact MSNCB at email@example.com.
CMSRN Exam Guide
This guide includes information about the exam, the application and exam scheduling process, and how to access valuable study resources.
Retaking the CMSRN Exam
Learn more about retaking the exam.
CMSRN Exam Exemption
Nurses who are already certified as a medical-surgical registered nurse may be eligible for CMSRN certification via Exam Exemption. Learn more about Exam Exemption.