MSNCB and AMSN leaders are featured in an outstanding Nurse.com special issue on med-surg nursing.
MSNCB and AMSN leaders are featured in an outstanding Nurse.com special issue on med-surg nursing. The digital publication highlights the innovations and initiatives of both MSNCB and AMSN and describes the value of the Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse® (CMSRN) and Certified in Care Coordination and Transition Management (CCCTM®) certifications.
Articles in the special edition cover such topics as connecting with patients, med-surg nurses’ vital role as advocates, the value of care coordination and transition management (CCTM) nursing roles, legislative issues, the importance of technology and evidence-based practice, and much more.
Not only will you see some familiar names and faces, but you’ll feel proud of your certification and your practice. You’ll also gain an even deeper appreciation of the role nurses like you have had in improving patient care and transforming today’s health care system.
- Med-surg Nurses Never Live the Same Day Twice – An introduction and overview of the med-surg specialty.
- Med-surg Nursing Carries a Unique Appeal – AMSN Past-President Kathy Lattavo and President-Elect Robin Hertel discuss the specialty and why they chose med-surg nursing.
- Discharge Planning Starts at Admission – AMSN Secretary Andie Melendez, Treasurer Marisa Streelman, and Director Michele George discuss safe transitions, patient education, and hospital readmission penalties.
- You Have to Be Flexible to be in Med-surg Nursing – AMSN President Linda Yoder explores the rewards and challenges of the specialty and AMSN initiatives in a Q & A.
- Care Coordinators Go By Many Names and Wear Many Hats – MSNCB Director Cathryn Kelly discusses the CCTM role and patient advocacy.
- Careers for Med-surg Nurses Stretch Beyond Hospital Walls – AMSN President-Elect Robin Hertel describes the many – and vital - roles of med-surg nurses who practice in a wide variety of settings.
In another article, Expertise Helps Nurses Stand Out – Nursing Shortage or Not, nursing researcher and workforce expert Peter Buerhaus advises med-surg nurses on educating themselves about value-based medicine and also letting their employer know their own value, something that is often not taught in nursing school.
Be a Voice for Your Practice: Share the Issue!
Be sure to bookmark the issue, email it to your colleagues, and share on social media, as it gives your med-surg specialty, your CCTM role, your nursing association, and your certification board some well-deserved attention.